If you have school age children and are planning to come to Canada or are new to Canada, please contact the Welcome Center for school registration information.
Welcome Center Hours:
Monday to Friday, 8:00-4:00 PST
A student who is in British Columbia (BC) with his or her parent (also legal guardian, hereafter listed as ‘parent’) might be eligible for a publicly funded education if the parent meets criteria set out by the provincial government. Kootenay Lake Schools use these criteria to establish their minimum qualifications for enrolment as a fundable student.
The parent must provide official and original documentation to prove they are eligible under one of the four categories below:
- Refugee. A student who resides in British Columbia and who has made a claim for refugee status in Canada and whose claim has not yet been determined or who is detained in custody in a youth custody center.
- Work Permit. A parent has been lawfully admitted to Canada for temporary residence and is authorized to work for a period of one year or more.
- Study Permit. A parent has been lawfully admitted to Canada and is authorized to study for a period of one year or more and one of the following applies:
- The parent is enrolled in a degree or diploma programme at a public post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
- The parent is enrolled in a degree programme at an EQA approved private post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
- Diplomat. The parent is carrying out official duties as an accredited diplomatic agent, preclearance officer, consular officer or official representative in Canada of a foreign government with a consular post in British Columbia or under the authority of the Visiting Forces Act.