Homestay and Program


Where will I live?

Kootenay Lake International students may reside in Nelson & Area OR over the mountain pass in Creston. This depends on the program and/or school chosen. Each community offers something special to the students who study there, whether it's rugged mountains with access to the slopes or pastural agricultural scenery with accessible nature experiences. 

Regardless of which community, students enjoy the homestay experience because if feels like 'home.' Some families enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle, while others enjoy quiet activities like reading and movies. Each of our families shares their profile - information about their family home, family members and their interests - so that students can be matched with a family with similar interests. 

Within each community are regions with their own flavour - the Nelson area has downtown, the North Shore, Rosemont, Fairview, Taghum, Beasley, Blewett, Bonnington...or a little further out, Salmo and Kaslo. Creston has downtown, Erickson, Canyon/Lister, Wyndell and more. Depending where the students live, they will either take the bus or walk to school. Some students may request rides from their homestays, take the transit or even ride a bicycle! 

Standards of Care

Our district is committed to following 'best practice' and the standards of our province with regard to homestay placements:

BC Provincial Government Homestay Guidelines for Students 

The homestay Contractor plays an important role in homestay. Every student is supported by their Contractor - there are scheduled monthly meetings, held away from the home. These meetings allow students the freedom to review their homestay arrangements and solve any issues that may arise. 

The Department of Citizenship and Immigration, for the Government of Canada requires all students to have an assigned custodian while they are studying in Canada. While the homestay family provides a home, Jann Schmidt, the program Administrator, assumes the legal role of custodian. The Custodian document must be completed, as part of each application. When students wish to travel on extracurricular trips or with their homestay families, permission must be granted through the international program office. The Contractor will support the homestay family and student in gaining permission. 

If an International student wishes to stay in Canada, outside of the timeline of their program end date, a Termination of Custodianship document is required. International students should consult with their homestay contractor if they are hoping to remain in Canada past their end date. 

For students requiring bus transportation to school, please review the On-line Registration Memo. Homestay families should be able to assist with registration. Bus registration is required for all students who require bussing to school.