Kootenay Lake School District 8 offers opportunities for domestic students and staff to expand their experiences and develop their intercultural skill sets.
The Kootenay Lake School District School Board has approved two courses:
- Global Intercultural Skills (4 Credits)
- Global Intercultural Experiences (4 Credits)
Some years allow students to participate in exchanges with a variety of schools overseas.
Possilbe exchange destination opportunities may include China, India, Nepal, Turkey, and Mexico.
Kootenay Lake School District Staff are often needed for supervision on these trips. The amount of work varies, depending on the trip. It may include:
- pre-trip planning and student meetings
- various supervision responsibilities in the country
- post-trip actvity
- supporting the student return exchange
- assisting students with presentations upon return (i.e. SD8 School Board, individual school presentation, etc)
Most travel costs are covered, but staff are responsible for their own spending money and some food/snacks/beverages. All costs should be clarified when staff apply. Interested staff should send an email of interest to Jann schmidt (email@example.com).
The international program will advertise through district mail when opportunities arise. Pay attention to deadlines. The selection process will include an interview. Refer to this rubric that will be used for the interviews.
Learn more about the opportunities that exist:
- India - outgoing student application and agreement to INDIA - revised 2019 (1).doc
- For staff - email interest to Jann Schmidt. Use rubric to prepare for interview.
- Board Policy
- Students - Refer to Standards of Conduct for students International Program, below.
- To learn more - view India Canada Exchange Revised powerpoint, below
- Visit the BCCIE Website (British Columbia Council for International Education) for information on how to apply.
- Staff interested in being a chaperone, email interest to Jann Schmidt. Refer to rubric below to prepare for interview.
- Students, refer to Standards of Conduct for students International Program, document below
GIE Oaxaca is an amazing service learning and travel experience. It is open to domestic and international students across the district (grades 10-12), interested in making a difference in their communities and world. Students participate in local service and fundraising prior to a spring break trip to Mexico. We partner with local organizations in Oaxaca, Mexico to build sustainable houses and participate in various intercultural learning opportunities alongside Mexican citizens and students. Students receive course credit. There is a spring application process every year. Contact teacher Kathi Knapik at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
This summer camp is in partnership with the University Motor Vehicle University of Emilia Romagna in Italy. They are looking for students 16-18 who love STEAM and cars! The cost of the tuition is $2950 EU + flights for a two week camp. The cost of the camp will cover all accomodations, weekend activities, food during the week, university level lectures in English, medical, transfer fees, and support with border requirements. See attached document for more information.