International Program International students have been attending schools in the Nelson area since 1999. The acquisition of English as a second language is very important to our students and being immersed in an English speaking environment is an ideal situation for learning an additional language. In order to attend Nelson schools, our international students need to be matched up with local families who will adopt them as one of their own. Our international students will benefit from the once in- a-life-time opportunity of taking part in daily living and family activities which will further enhance the student language skills, as well as enrich their Canadian cultural experience. Many of our host families have returned year after year to take on new students as they find the experience so rewarding and enlightening.
What does the homestay family provide?
It is expected that our homestay families provide a private bedroom, three meals
per day plus snacks and drinks, and airport pick-up and delivery in Castlegar for
their international student. In return, the host family will be paid a monthly fee of
$850.00 per month. Each student will be given an internet account and access at their respective schools.
Benefits of Homestay
- Experiencing a foreign culture in the comfort of your own home Cultural education
and tolerance of differences
- Making global friendships and global connections. Seeing your own home and city
through the wondrous eyes of an international students
- Embracing the challenge of teaching someone conversational English through
- $850 per month remuneration to cover the cost of food and utilities
Responsibilities of a Homestay Family
- To help our students learn to speak English
- To provide a safe nurturing environment
- To provide a private bedroom
- To provide regular meals, snacks, and drinks
- To clearly outline all family routines and treat our students as though they were
one of your own children
- To pick up on arrival date and deliver on departure dates each student to the
- To provide a Canadian cultural experience
Interested in becoming a host family?